Monday, August 24, 2020

THE DEATH OF VIVEK by Akwaeke Emezi

 


















🌟🌟🌟

3.5/5

Penguin Riverhead

Now available


If you are looking for a "whodunit" novel, this book fits the format.


If you are looking to read an intelligent, cohesive novel with sexually fluid characters, this isn't the book.


Just a few words, I loved Freshwater, I waited with anticipation for The Death of Vivek Oji. Halfway through the novel a thought occured, perhaps the author was under pressure to write another novel. 

I continued reading still hoping to find the depth the author gave her characters in Freshwater.

Poor Vivek...dead before we open the first chapter, missing from the novel except the very few pages allowed to him. What we find are teenagers having sex, lots of graphic sex, and when not having sex, they discuss Vivek, before he died, after he died.

Vivek, could have been a great character, with much insight into his life, his choices...oh well.

I came to the end disappointed, the end was predictable, the hints were there throughout the novel.


Still I will read her next novel, I know the author has the talent to write a novel worthy of Freshwater.

No comments: